Eye black is a popular accessory used to spice up one’s look to a more fierce athlete, among other things. In this article, you will learn how to apply eye black, why eye black is used, and the best eye black products on the market. That being said, how to apply eye black for sports such as baseball, football, or softball?
To apply eye black, remove the cap, twist the stick from below into position, and press the stick to your face 1in (2.5cm) below your eye. Drawing a line below your eye from your cheekbone to the edge of your nose. If you have eye black stickers, peel the stickers and apply them under your eyes.
Applying eye black for sports or other reasons isn’t complicated at all. However, you want to make sure about the right steps to do so to gain full benefit from them.
Before further instructions, I want you to understand the purpose of eye black in the first place.
What Is the Purpose of Eye Black?
The first thing people notice about eye black is the enhanced look for the wearer. However, that’s often the only thing people realize about eye black, and it was so for me too for a long time. There is more than one reason why athletes use eye black. Let’s take a look.
- Cosmetics: Looks are the most common reason people think eye black is used, but it isn’t the main reason. Although, there are various designs rather than the straight lines under the eyes players can wear, turning even more heads. Also, eye blacks doesen’t come only as black but with many color options, giving the choice of team or unique colors.
- Vision: Eye black is primarily used to block the sunlight or stadium light glare, which can get quite dazzling. The black pigment of the eye black will absorb light, making your skin reflect considerably less light, improving your vision.
Eye black is a fascinating subject, and I will go deeper into it in my article: the purpose of eye black, including the science behind it, studies, purposes, methods, and more. I highly recommend that you check it out and learn more if you want to get the full knowledge about eye black.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the ”how” of applying eye black.
How to Apply Eye Black?
As I said, there are two methods to apply eye black: stick or stickers. The most popular and effective method is the eye black stick because it’s the most effective way. Although, it does come with downsides such as harder wash off and smudge. Convenience is where stickers shine.
First, let’s take a closer look at the step-by-step instructions on the eye black stick.
How to Apply Eye Black Stick
- Remove the cap: Before anything, remove the cap off the stick similarly to lip balm or lipstick. This should reveal the eye black product itself.
- Twist the stick: Next, twist the stick from the bottom to lift the eye black off the sticks to be ready to apply. The mechanics can vary between models, but it should be clear how to get it up. If not, refer to the instructions that came with the specific model.
- Prepare to apply: To apply eye black, press the stick to your face 1 inch (2.5cm) below your eye. This position is great as it isn’t too low or high. I recommend starting from the cheekbone so you are ready to draw the line towards your nose; however, you can do it the other way too.
- Draw a line: Start drawing a horizontal line with slight pressure towards your nose’s edge from your cheekbone. Hold the stick at a 90-degree angle for a thick application for maximum light absorption and a fierce look.
- Draw more if necessary: One swipe often doesen’t make it thick enough, so repeat the same process a couple more times for a thick and effective eye black stripe.
- Repeat on another side: After you’re satisfied with the stripe on another side, do the same to the other side.
- Examine the outcome: After the application process, examine the outcome by looking at the mirror for any thin areas and unfilled gaps. If you find any, add more eye black to the area. Remember, your eye black stripes doesen’t have to be perfect, they are meant to absorb light, and they will even if they aren’t perfect.
- Remove eye black: After practice, match, or where you wore the eye black, it’s time to wipe it off. I have found that the best way to remove eye black is Alcohol Wipes. The alcohol is a powerful solution that will quickly remove the eye black, yet I prefer it on pre-made pads for safe usage. Warm water and soap will do the trick if you don’t have any, yet it takes longer.
When you look at the list above, there are many steps to the process. However, don’t be intimidated as every step is straightforward, and applying an eye black stick is easy. Still, if you want something even easier, let’s look at how to apply eye black stickers.
How to Apply Eye Black Stickers
- Peel the eye black sticker: First, remove the sticker from its backing. This should be straightforward; however, try not to touch the sticker’s sticky side for maximum stickiness on your face.
- Place the sticker under your eye: The best place to apply the sticker is 1inch (2.5cm) below your eye, just like with the stick. Place the sticker horizontally between your lower eyelid, the point of your cheekbone, and the nostril. If the stickers you use are curved like some are, be sure the two ends are pointing upwards and the middle section is pointing below.
- Secure the sticker: Before securing the sticker, make sure the positioning is to your satisfaction. If you like where the sticker is located, you can apply pressure so it will stick to your face.
- Repeat on another side: Repeat this simple process on the other side of your face, and you will complete the look.
- Examine the outcome: Now, look at the mirror and see if the stickers are at identical positions around 1inch (2.5cm) below your eyes. If not, you can try to adjust the placement; however, too many removals will weaken the stickiness too much.
- Remove the sticker: After football, baseball, softball, lacrosse, or other situation, peel the stickers off, and you’re done. No need for rubbing alcohol, water, or scrubbing!
As you can see, applying and removing eye black stickers is easier than doing it with the stick. However, the stickers’ effectiveness isn’t just as good, yet they do get the job done!
What Is the Best Anti-Glare Eye Black?
There are dozens of eye blacks available from different brands and manufacturers, coming in many application methods and colors when browsing the market. It can be overwhelming to choose one and assume it’s the best one. So, what would I recommend, you ask?
After browsing dozens of eye blacks, reading hundreds of reviews, and examining features, I’m positive that Easton Pro Eye Black is superior on the market. I also state this in my article: 7 best eye blacks for various purposes.
Anyways, what’s so good about Easton Pro Eyeblack?
Easton Pro Eye Black is a black eye stick and an excellent one too. It features outstanding anti-glare properties, meaning the effect of light won’t interfere with your vision too much. In addition, the stick won’t smear nearly as easily as other eye black sticks, keeping your clothes clean, look fierce, and skin clean.
As a brand, Easton doesn’t require introductions as it’s known for all players from various sports such as Baseball, Softball, Ice Hockey, and you name it. Oh, and the application method is effortless as it works just like lipstick. Remove the cap and rotate the bottom piece, and you’re ready to apply the eye black.
My Favorite Baseball Equipment
Thanks for reading this article. I hope it brought you great value that you can implement into your own life! Below you can find my favorite baseball bat, baseballs, and a glove that I think will take your game to the next level!
- Bat: My favorite baseball bat is the Easton Project 3 Fuze. This bat has a composite end cap, reduced post-impact vibrations, balanced swing weight for the fastest swing speed, and a carbon core that makes this bat perform very well! As I’m not a professional baseball player, I like to use alloy bats as you can swing faster and hit further.
- Baseballs: Rawlings Competition Grade Practice Balls are my choice for something to hit. I love these balls because they fit all levels of play, so regardless of who you are playing with, you can use them. They come in a 6 or 12 balls box, and you can choose between raised or flat seams! I prefer flat seams as the balls tend to fly further!
- Glove: When it comes to the glove, my choice is the Rawlings Sandlot Glove. This glove is available for both lefties and righties. The same glove is also available for infielders, outfielders, pitchers, catchers, and 1B mitt. This glove has a nice vintage look, and it’s made from oiled leather. It has palm pads that protect your hand from impact, and it is pre-broken-in, so you are good to go as soon as you have it! A glove I’m proud to recommend.
- Fan Equipment: If you’re a fan more than a player, you don’t want to miss Fan Equipment by Fanatics. You can find items from various sports that bear your favorite team’s logo, such as jerseys, gift ideas, or other surprising things.