How Much Does It Cost To Ship A Softball Bat? (Real Data)
If you want to sell your softball bat and you need to ship it elsewhere, it’s always very important to learn about the shipping costs as it could eat some of your profits from the sale. There are various other reasons why you might want to ship a softball bat, but I’m not getting into that in here.
What’s really important in this article is the shipping costs of a softball bat, and how much would that be?
Generally, shipping a softball bat will cost between $9-$14. The costs vary depending on the shipping distance, shipping company, and package size & weight. Usually, a softball bat weighs 25-30oz (700-850g), is 28-34inches (70-86cm) long, and 2-1/4 (5.1cm) wide, so a tube-type shipping box is a great choice.
Not that the estimated price is calculated for domestic shipping in the United States and Canada. International shipping is often much more expensive and will likely cost many times over the domestic shipping costs.
Take a look at the estimated costs from California to New York in the United States and from Ottava to Vancouver in Canada. I have reviewed UPS, FedEx, USPS, and Canada Posts and used their shipping calculators that you can access by clicking the shipping company name.
|Shipping Company||Domestic Shipping Distance||Estimated Cost|
|UPS||CA to NY (2900mi / 4700km)||$12.08|
|FedEx||CA to NY (2900mi / 4700km)||$11.01|
|USPS||CA to NY (2900mi / 4700km)||$8.90|
|Canada Post||OTT to VA (2700mi / 4400km)||CAD $17.7 (USD 14.07)|
As you can see, USPS was the cheapest option here. Note that the prices will vary even between companies depending on where you live and your shipping destination. I highly suggest that you check out all of them before shipping your bat as it is quite easy to use the calculators.
Now, let’s take a look at what affects the shipping costs of a softball bat so you can understand why the prices can be what they are.
What Affects To the Shipping Costs?
Shipping costs are calculated by looking at the shipping distance and package weight and dimensions. Courier companies can also have drastically different prices, which naturally affects the shipping costs. In addition, insurance & tracking, customs & duties, and handling fees are a part of the fees.
The biggest factors by far are the shipping distance and package weight and dimensions. The shipping company is also in a big role so learn about these three things more below.
1. Shipping distance
Without drastic size and weight differences between packages, the shipping distance is the most affecting factor in shipping costs.
As a rule of thumb, the further you are shipping, the more it will cost. Therefore, domestic shipping is more affordable than shipping internationally. Also, shipping within the state is more affordable than shipping between states.
In relation to the shipping distance, the speed will have a big difference. When shipping a package, you are often given multiple options between urgent shipping, regular shipping, and savings shipping.
Naturally, urgent shipping such as overnight is by far the most expensive. Regular shipping can be expensive or cheap, depending on the package and distance. Sometimes, courier companies provide saving shipping when your package has no rush, which can further drop down the prices.
2. Package size and weight
The package dimensions and weight is a big determination to the final fee of the shipment. There can be huge differences between the prices depending on whether your package is the size of a coffee cup and weigh less than one pound, compared to a human-sized package weighing a hundred pounds.
As a rule of thumb, the bigger and heavier the package, the more it will cost. To minimize your shipping costs, make sure that the package isn’t much bigger than the product inside because the fees are calculated based on the packing size, not your product.
For example, the best possible package for a softball bat is a tube-like box such as this one from Amazon. These will hold the softball bat perfectly and tightly, especially if you add some newspaper or similar items for shipping safety. Another benefit is that the box won’t take any unnecessary space, which could drive up the shipping fees.
3. Shipping company
As you already learned above, the courier company will determine its prices, so they will naturally vary from one another. I highly suggest that you check out different couriers by using their shipping calculators that you can access by clicking the companies from the table above.
This gives you a general idea of which company would be best for softball bats.
In addition to the three main aspects above, take a quick look at the other factors that have a say on the shipping costs.
- Insurance & Tracking – If you are shipping a valuable item, such as quality softball bats, insurance is worth considering. If you decide to get insurance, it will increase your shipping fees but in case your bat is misplaced, you will get a compensation of the value. Some couriers have a complimentare insurance, but that is often to a certain amount which isn’t much.
- Customs – Everybodyt hates customs, yet, they are there. When shipping internationally, your product may be witheld by customs and not forwarded if the custom see isn’t paid. Before sending your package, it’s important to determine how the customs are with your deal partner. Depending on the package destination, custom fees might or might not be included. Learn more about the custom information from each couriers: UPS, FedEx, DHL, USPS, Canada Post.
How Do You Ship a Softball Bat?
Shipping items such as a softball bat is a straightforward task but can be overwhelming if you haven’t shipped anything before. So, take a look at the instructions below!
- Choose a courier company
The first step is to choose a shipping company. There are various ones that you can use, but the most used ones are UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL.
Take a look at their shipping calculator to get an estimate of the cost, and you will save some money in the process. If you are selling your softball bat, you can ask that the deal be included with the shipping costs.
- Package your softball bat
After choosing your courier, it’s time to package your bat. If you are doing it yourself, I highly recommend using tube-like boxes that are perfect for softball bats.
Alternatively, you can get a packing service from the couriers with a small extra cost. For example, you can get a FedEx tube when you place your shipping with a $2 extra cost.
- Forward your softball bat to the courier company
Most couriers provide you with two options: Deliver your package yourself to a shipping center, or order a pickup for your package.
Pickups are often more expensive as you might expect, so find the nearby shipping centers if you want to take it there yourself. If you want a pickup, you can schedule it at the same time you order your shipping.
My Favorite Softball Equipment
Thanks for reading this article. I hope it brought you great value that you can implement into your own life! Here are my top softball equipment recommendations that I think will take your game to the next level.
- Bat: My favorite certified fastpitch softball bat is the Easton Ghost. This bat has a double-barrel construction which is incredible if you are looking for a great feel and are a fan of satisfying pop and sound. The handle is a great bonus as it’s great to hold on to and very thin. The technology used for this bat provides great durability and flexibility. This bat comes in various styles and sizes.
- Softball: The best softballs, in my opinion, are the Franklin Sports Official Softballs. These affordable yet official featured balls are perfect for practice if you want to train with a similar ball as in a real game. These balls have the official 12-inch circumference and weight. The yellow color makes it easy to spot, and the flat seams enable minimal air resistance so that they will fly consistently and far.
- Glove: Rawlings Liberty Advanced Fastpitch Glove should be introduced to every softball player. The 12.5″ size makes it a breeze to catch and secure softballs. The glove is very comfortable as it’s made from full-grain leather, and the pull-staps will perfect the fit. The design is breathtaking as well. Be prepared for a little break-in time tho.
- Fan Equipment: If you’re a fan more than a player, you don’t want to miss Fan Equipment by Fanatics. You can find items from various sports that bear your favorite team’s logo, such as jerseys, gift ideas, or other surprising things.