How Much Does A Baseball Card Weigh? (Averages & Bulk)
When you are about to ship baseball cards, and you have many of them, it’s important to know how much one baseball card weighs to calculate the weight of your baseball card collection. So, how much does a baseball card weigh?
Generally, one baseball card weighs 1 gram. If the baseball card is placed inside a top loader, the card weighs 6-8 grams. Thus, 100 baseball cards weigh 100grams without top loaders and 600-800 grams with top loaders.
Often, you need to know the weight of a baseball card if you are shipping a collection of them, which can entail hundreds or even thousands of baseball cards. When you know the weight of 100 baseball cards with and without top loaders, it’s easy to calculate the weight of your collection.
Now, there are different collection sizes, so let’s look at them to ease your task further!
Related: Are Baseball Cards Media Mail?
How Much Does a Box of Baseball Cards Weigh?
Assuming that one baseball card weights 1 gram, you can see how much of a set, box, pack, or collection will weigh depending on how many cards you have.
Please note that baseball cards’ weight may vary based on the manufacturing years, whether it is a special card or not, or potential damage on it. In reality, baseball cards weigh between 1 to 2 grams. On the other hand, top loaders weigh 5 to 7 grams, and when you add a gram baseball inside the top loader, it weighs 6 to 8grams.
Most of the time, baseball cards weigh 1 gram rather than 2, and just in case if you have a large collection of baseball cards and want to ship them, I have calculated the top loader card weigh-in 8 grams. Take a look!
|Amount of Baseball Cards||Weight||Weight With Top Loaders|
|100||100g / 3.5oz||800g / 28.2oz|
|200||200g / 7oz||1.6kg / 3.5lbs|
|500||500g 17.6oz||4kg / 8.8lbs|
|1000||1kg / 2.2lbs||8kg / 17.6lbs|
|3000||3kg / 6.6lbs||24kg / 53lbs|
|5000||5kg / 11lbs||40kg / 88lbs|
|10 000||10kg / 22lbs||80kg / 176lbs|
By looking at this table, you will have an easy time determining how much does your baseball collection approximately weighs with or without top loaders.
How Much Does 1 Card In a Top Loader Weigh?
It’s very important to know the weight difference between the actual card and the card within a top loader. This is because a top loader will multiple the card’s weight many times!
Generally, a top loader weighs 5 to 7 grams and a baseball card gram. Thus, a baseball card in a top loader weighs 6 to 8 grams. A top-loader weighs 7 grams in most cases, making the most usual card weight in a top loader 8 grams.
If you value your collection for monetary, sentimental, or other reasons, you should always keep them within top loaders. You can get great baseball card top loaders from Amazon.
Top loaders are plastic card holders that protect your cards from bending, tearing, and getting damaged in other ways, especially from the corners.
If you want to sell your baseball cards, you need to ship them within a top-loader, or you risk getting damaged in the mail!
Why are top-loaders called such? Well, their name comes from how you slide the cards inside them, from the top.
How Many Baseball Cards Are In a Pound?
If you are fortunate enough to have so many baseball cards that you don’t even know the card amount but need to estimate it by weight, I congratulate you. So how many baseball cards does one pound hold?
One pound (453g) of baseball cards will have roughly 450 baseball cards without top loaders or 75 to 55 baseball cards with top loaders.
One baseball card weighs roughly 1 gram, sometimes two, and a top loader weighs 5 to 7 grams. This may vary depending on your baseball card and top loader type, so I suggest you weigh one of each individually so you can more accurately calculate your collection size!
How Much Does It Cost to Ship 1 Baseball Card?
If you are about to sell one of your valuable baseball cards, there are things you should know. First of all, the shipping costs of an individual baseball card. How much can that possibly be?
In general, shipping a baseball card isn’t expensive, and it shouldn’t exceed the amount of $4 to ship in first-class mail.
This is great news. No ridiculous shipping costs are needed! However, if you send an expensive baseball card and don’t take the necessary safety precautions, it can get expensive if your card is ruined.
To ship a baseball card safely, you will need;
- Penny Sleeve: Penny sleeves are meant to protect the baseball card’s surface. In addition, when using a penny sleeve, it will fit better inside of the top loader.
- Top Loader: Top loaders are meant to protect the edges of the card and prevent it from bending.
- Team bag: Team bags are great if you want to make sure the card won’t slide off the top loader and penny sleeve or if you want to send more than just one card. These team bags are re-sealable and hold up to 35 standard size baseball cards.
- Bubble mailer: Last but not least, you want to place your protected card inside of a bubble mailer envelope. This way, you make sure your card is well protected, and it’s easy to ship it inside a larger envelope.
Check out the video below on properly packing a baseball card for shipping.
My Favorite Baseball Equipment
Thanks for reading this article. I hope it brought you great value that you can implement into your own life! Below you can find my favorite baseball bat, baseballs, and a glove that I think will take your game to the next level!
- Bat: My favorite baseball bat is the Easton Project 3 Fuze. This bat has a composite end cap, reduced post-impact vibrations, balanced swing weight for the fastest swing speed, and a carbon core that makes this bat perform very well! As I’m not a professional baseball player, I like to use alloy bats as you can swing faster and hit further.
- Baseballs: Rawlings Competition Grade Practice Balls are my choice for something to hit. I love these balls because they fit all levels of play, so regardless of who you are playing with, you can use them. They come in a 6 or 12 balls box, and you can choose between raised or flat seams! I prefer flat seams as the balls tend to fly further!
- Glove: When it comes to the glove, my choice is the Rawlings Sandlot Glove. This glove is available for both lefties and righties. The same glove is also available for infielders, outfielders, pitchers, catchers, and 1B mitt. This glove has a nice vintage look, and it’s made from oiled leather. It has palm pads that protect your hand from impact, and it is pre-broken-in, so you are good to go as soon as you have it! A glove I’m proud to recommend.
- Fan Equipment: If you’re a fan more than a player, you don’t want to miss Fan Equipment by Fanatics. You can find items from various sports that bear your favorite team’s logo, such as jerseys, gift ideas, or other surprising things.