You don’t realize how much you need to play ping pong until you feel more focused and with a more positive mindset after a few minutes of the sport play. In addition, one develops mental alertness and super-concentration along with problem-solving and decision-making skills. Considering its healthwise benefits, can you play ping pong on any table?
You can play ping pong on any table as long as you have spring-loaded clamps that will tighten the net in the middle of the table. You may need to smooth out your table surface to prevent backward bouncing of the ball.
You have no reason not to play ping pong, not when it has outstanding health benefits in addition to the fun in playing the game. Read ahead for more information about the game as well as how to make your ping pong table.
What Can I Use As a Ping Pong Table?
You can use a variety of things as a ping pong table. You can set an old door on top of a raised base or customize plywood to be your tabletop surface. It is also possible to make a sand pile table out of cartons or soft plywoods if you live near a beach.
Playing ping pong is so exciting and fun. However, you may not make it in playing the game without the right equipment. Playing ping pong requires a table, a paddle, a ping pong ball, and a net, among other things. However, you might not be able to get these items very cheaply.
But in the current world full of different inventions, it is said that the game is much sweeter to play when you have your customized table. If you have been wondering about this, here are a few things you can use as a ping pong table.
Innovative Ping Pong Table Ideas
You have varieties of options to use as your ping pong tables; you can:
- Use old doors from your garage or woodworking dumps to create bases, and place them on top of bins at waist height. However, make sure you remove the door handles since they can catch a bouncing ball.
- You can also get much more creative by pinning two plywood pieces to wooden bases at the ends. You can also decide to suspend the plywood horizontally to the ceiling of your house at a height that will allow you to play the game comfortably.
- If you live near a beach and have a limited budget, you can dig two holes facing each other and stack the sand in the middle, which can be used as a tabletop. However, you will need to use plywood to make the surface bouncy for the ball.
You can also create a homemade table using different types of wood. You may, however, find people leaning on it frequently. Depending on how stable the table is, you might decide on rules or a fine if anyone rests on it.
Can You Make Your Own Ping Pong Table Top?
You can make your own ping pong table top using different kinds of wood based on the size of the table you desire. The efficiency of your table will also depend on the kind of plan you are following. Creating a table will also depend on how skilled you are at undertaking the task.
Acquiring a ping pong table can be rather expensive, almost more expensive than buying the other equipment. So if you can have a way of creating your ping pong table, you will have saved a lot for your next budget. In addition, playing the game from a board, you made on your own is quite satisfying and boastful.
Read also: Can You Make a Ping Pong Table Out of MDF?
How Can I Make a Cheap Ping Pong Table?
To make a cheap ping pong table, you need to collect everything you need for the assembly. These will include the necessary tools and pieces of wood for the setup. However, the type of things you will need is dependent on your knowledge of making the table.
It will also depend on the kind of table you want to make. So if you desire to make a simple table similar to that of the Hunton’s you will need:
- Wood pieces should be around 9 feet long and 5 feet wide. However, if you do not have access to wood in your area, you might not need such a large table. You can plan for a mini-sized table of about 6 by 3 feet.
- Make sure you have sturdy frames to use as steady supports. They don’t have to be so casual, but they should be something you can paint coat. You can use broken chair legs for support.
- Collect the necessary tools. These include a saw drill or hammer, screws, and screwdrivers or nails for attachment.
So when everything is assembled, you can go on and create your pong table.
- Set the already fit bases on the ground you want your table, and space them equally.
- Fit your tabletop on the bases and make sure it’s balanced without your support. After you’re satisfied with the result, you can join the top and the base stands using screws or nails.
- Use the saw to cut off any extended part that may seem harmful.
- Mark the center of the table and place your net across it. Once that’s done, your table is ready to play.
You can check out the ping pong bros for other plan ideas for your ping pong homemade table.
Can You Make a Ping Pong Table from Plywood?
You can make a ping pong table out of plywood. There are varieties of plywoods that you can use for your creation. If your budget allows, you can buy hardwood plywood. But if you are tight on your budget, you can buy softwood plywoods. These include spruce, pine, and fir.
However, in your plans to use plywood for the ping pong table, you may need to consider the following to guide you.
- Type of Wood: I can only advise you to go for the type of plywood that fits your budget. You don’t need to stress when you can enjoy something simple but eye-catching.
- Size: Plywoods often come in 4 by 8 standard sizes. However, what matters most is the thickness of the plywood since softwoods can easily change shape with weather changes. Make sure you purchase plywood that is at least 3/4 inches thick.
- Preparation: You may have found a rough-surfaced wood. So the best thing to do in such situations is to smoothen the surface using sandpaper. Such rough surfaces can cause backward bounce of the balls.
- Finishing: Here you will need to fit the plywood on your already set stands and balance it correctly. Since the plywood will be on the table’s top, it will look stunning and somewhat inviting when painted. So if your budget can accommodate it, consider custom painting the wood since it will also help preserve it.
Learn more: What Type of Wood Is Used for Ping Pong Tables?
What Paint Can You Use On a Ping Pong Table?
You can use alkyd paint on your ping pong table. You can expect a generally abrasive surface due to the paint’s durability and scratch resistance. In addition, you can also use the paint to coat any wooden surface. This includes wallboard surfaces, slates, plaster, and prepared metal.
Although you don’t need to paint it, if the table is going to be used outside or if it is frequently splashed with liquids, you will just have to do the painting as a preservation measure for the table.
My Favorite Table Tennis Equipment
Thanks for reading this article. I hope it brought you great value that you can implement into your own life! Here you can find my preferred table tennis equipment that I believe you could benefit too!
- Racket: My favorite racket choice is the beautiful Killerspin Jet800 because it fits my offensive and speed-focused playstyle. The two carbon layers, 2.1mm sponge, and 190g weight makes this racket powerful.
- Ping Pong Balls: New technology and design have made the JOOLA Flash Seamless 3-Star Balls stand out from the other balls. These balls are seamless, meaning they are more durable than any ball with a seam! Even when these balls come at a higher price, they will pay themselves quickly. As a bonus, the design makes me excited!
- Table Tennis shoes: The famous Butterfly Lezoline Rifones is my choice as it is for many others because they are designed specifically for table tennis standards. I like the excellent support, comfortable cushioning, and lightweight sole with great traction, which gets you exploding fast to whatever direction you need to.
- Fan Equipment: If you’re a fan more than a player, you don’t want to miss Fan Equipment by Fanatics. You can find items from various sports that bear your favorite team’s logo, such as jerseys, gift ideas, or other surprising things.