There are countless mouthguards or mouthpieces, whatever you want to call them, available. However, a mouthguard for braces is different because regular ones won’t fit well and can even be dangerous when doing high contact sports.
Before moving on to the mouthguards themselves, I want to make sure that you know what you should look for when on the market for one. I created this resource for you to find the best mouthguards for braces. So without further due, I’ll start the buyer’s guide!
However, if you feel confident that you know what you’re looking for, scroll past for the actual products.
- Do You Have to Get a Special Mouthguard for Braces?
- How Do You Choose a Mouthguard for Braces?
- Best Mouthguards for Braces
- 1. Best Overall Mouthguard for Braces: Shock Doctor Braces Mouthguard
- 2. Best Double Braces Mouthguard: Shock Doctor Double Braces Mouthguard
- 3. Best Technology Mouthguard for Braces: Under Armour Braces Mouthguard
- 4. Best Mouthguard With Strap for Braces: OPRO Gold Level Mouthguard For Braces
- 5. Best Looking Youth Mouthguard for Braces:
- 6. Best Kid’s Sports Mouthguard for Braces: Denta-Gard Comfort PRO Mouthguard
Do You Have to Get a Special Mouthguard for Braces?
The first thing that comes to mind with both braces and mouthguard is that can you even use one, as braces are extra material in your mouth?
When wearing braces, you need a special mouthguard for them. Braces are extra material in your mouth, and regular braces aren’t built considering them, meaning you can’t use them safely. In contrast, brace mouthguards are meant for people wearing braces, making them safe and comfortable for you.
You should only use appropriate mouthguards when using braces and when not. It isn’t as dangerous to wear mouthguards meant for braces without them as it is to wear regular mouthguards with braces.
How Do You Choose a Mouthguard for Braces?
Choosing the right mouthguard for you is a sum of many things you should consider before making your choice. From the right model to special needs to the right fit for you, many things can go unnoticed if you don’t know about them. That’s why you should read my brief mouthguards for braces buying guide.
Consider the following seven things when choosing a mouthguard;
- Brace type: The first thing to consider is whether you have braces on only one row of teeth or both. This determines what kind of mouthguard type you will need.
- Proper fit: The mouthguards must fit in your mouth well, so you can get the benefit you are using them in the first place. If your mouthguard doesen’t fit you well, you could always mold it to fit your teeth.
- Comfort: Does the mouthguard feel comfortable for long periods? When doing sports, it’s important that you feel comfortable, as any discomfort can throw you off focus, and well, it’s uncomfortable.
- Durability: There are durable and less durable mouthguards out there. You can easily choose which one they are by reading reviews and the product description. Generally, most mouthguards are very durable.
- Breathing: One of the most important things to consider is breathability, especially when doing sports. Can you breathe in and out without discomfort or effort? If you can’t, then you should look at another mouthguard. Improper breathing will hinder your performance, make you dizzy, and feel discomfort.
- Speech: When you have braces and a mouthguard in your mouth, the ability to speak isn’t the best, nor is it drastically important when doing sport. However, an ability to speak so people can understand you is important when using a mouthguard, so if they feel too big or clumsy, you should check out another mouthguard.
- Brand: Last but not least, the brand. In many things, the brand isn’t that important. However, you can automatically know a quality mouthguard from various brands such as Shock Doctor, SISU, OPRO, and most dental brands. Also, sports brands produce great mouthguards too, such as Under Armour and Franklin Sports, to name a few.
Considering all of the traits above, I have selected the best mouthguards for braces and various needs from my own and others’ experiences, reviews, and inquiries. Below you can see six valid mouthguards for braces.
Read also: How To Mold A Mouthguard?
Best Mouthguards for Braces
1. Best Overall Mouthguard for Braces: Shock Doctor Braces Mouthguard
My choice as the best overall mouthguard for braces is the Shock Doctor Braces Mouthguard. Shock Doctor is the leading brand for mouthguards, and this one takes the cake for people with braces.
This mouthguard is made from 100% medical-grade silicone by orthodontists, and the design is tailored specifically for braces. No BPA or latex was used. This makes the fit, comfort, and protection top-notch! You don’t need to worry about brace adjustments either, as these will adapt to changes.
Another great thing is that this mouthguard doesen’t require any molding whatsoever, so that you can use it straight from the box. You can use this mouthguard in every sport, from football to ice hockey, and your teeth and mouth are protected.
Keep in mind that this mouthguard is an adult size, so children under 11 years old will find it too big. Thus, you should look at other alternatives found on this list.
2. Best Double Braces Mouthguard: Shock Doctor Double Braces Mouthguard
If you have braces on both upper and lower teeth, then the Shock Doctor Double Braces Mouthguard is what you’ll need. Most brace mouthguards are made for one brace line only, so that they wouldn’t suffice.
This mouthguard is similar to its smaller counterpart, so all the great benefits include quality silicone construction, design by real orthodontists, no rough edges, and no molding required! In addition, ortho-channel technology provides improved breathing capabilities, which is a bonus, considering the larger size of your mouth.
Instead of just the beautiful blue color, you can get this mouthguard in red and grey. The durability and fit are the best in the market, and that’s why Shock Doctor provides a $10,000 dental warranty for its users.
3. Best Technology Mouthguard for Braces: Under Armour Braces Mouthguard
Looking for something versatile and easily moldable? Under Armour Brace Mouthguard will provide! In addition to the renowned brand, this mouthguard is the world’s first microwaveable, boilable, chew-resistant, and re-fittable product with all the features in one! You can be certain that this mouthguard fill fits well.
Also, the ArmourFit technology makes it very easy to talk, breathe, and drink while wearing the piece. Bulky construction that is annoying to the point of not wearing isn’t included in this product.
All National Federation of High School Association’s requirements are met, latex isn’t being used, and the mouthguard won’t absorb water, making it a hygienic, professional, durable, and quality product. Under Armour believes in this product so much that they offer a $32,000 dental warranty!
On the conside, a mouthguard case isn’t included, so you will need to get one separately. The Under Armour Mouthguard Case will fit perfectly for this product.
4. Best Mouthguard With Strap for Braces: OPRO Gold Level Mouthguard For Braces
If you want something slightly different with a strap requirement for sports such as football, ice hockey, and you name it, the OPRO Gold Level Mouthguard is the go-to choice.
This mouthguard has numerous advantages. The best ones, in my opinion, are the inner gel channel, making the mouthguard very comfortable. Also, the fitting cradle makes the molding process easy and the fit precise. The Silver Ion technology founded in both the mouthguard and its case inhibits bacteria growth by 99.9%!
That’s not all. The carefully designed palate is made breathing and speech in mind, so you won’t have difficulty doing them. Brace adjustment and teeth shift won’t be a problem either, as the mouthguard will adapt!
5. Best Looking Youth Mouthguard for Braces:
Humour is an important part of life, so why not add it to your mouthguard? For the funny experience, the Shock Doctor Youth Brace Mouthguard with fangs is a perfect choice. The grey mouthpiece with ferocious fangs makes a stylish and intimidating look, placing fear in your opponent in whichever sport you choose.
The product is made from 100% medical-grade silicone and is designed by orthodontists, so quality is guaranteed. Any latex, BPA, or phthalate aren’t used, making it super safe to use. Also, you don’t need to do any sport of molding as it’s pop-in & play straight from the box.
The material will adapt to changing teeth patterns of youth by aging or successful brace process. Thus, they aren’t good only for months, but years!
Last but not least, the fit and protection are athlete tested in various fields and sports. So, no matter what you or your child calls a hobby, teeth safety will be a variable of the play.
6. Best Kid’s Sports Mouthguard for Braces: Denta-Gard Comfort PRO Mouthguard
When browsing the selection of mouthguards for braces, most of them are for adults or worse; the description doesen’t say the actual size. If you want a proper mouthguard for your kid with braces, there is no better option than Denta-Gard Comfort Pro Mouthguard.
As the name suggests, comfort is one of the core features of this mouthguard. This comes from its folding and soft design. The mouthguard can be worn regardless of brace location, meaning it fits and protects double braces. Also, dentists have designed this mouthguard, and it was just recently when it became available for purchase from anywhere else than the dental office.
Boiling, microwaving, heating, or any other sport of molding process isn’t required because it’s scientifically formulated to naturally fit any sized mouth, for kids, of course. Any second-grade materials such as latex and BPA aren’t used either!
For versatile usage, the mouthguard comes with a helmet strap so your child can play football, lacrosse, and other contact sports easily without dropping the mouthpiece. Finally, there are nine colors available, so the desired one can be found for both boys and girls, and it can even be chosen with the team colors!
Teeth are one of the most fragile yet precious things on our bodies. Luckily you can find great protective mouthpieces for teeth with braces from above! It’s highly important to take good care of them with proper mouthguard when needed, brushing, consistent dentist appointments, and a teeth-friendly diet.